Monday, January 6, 2020

SINS, DEBTS AND TRESPASSES


The new (well, it's really not that new; but it is new compared to the old) version of the Lord's Prayer uses the word "sins," as in, "forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against. The Presbyterians use the words "debts" and "debtors." We traditionalists cling mightily to the word "trespasses."

To be honest, when I think of the word "trespass," I have this vision of the "No Trespassing" sign I see on condemned buildings or on private property. But is that what I mean when I use that word? Am I asking that I be forgiven because I have invaded the personal property/space of another?  Perhaps I am. Perhaps that is what I have done when I have hurt another in thought or word or deed. And that is what another has done to me. Never thought about it that way.

And the word "debt" is truly Presbyterian. The Presbyterian Church is the Church of Scotland. And you know what they say about Scots and their tightness when it comes to money. It has been said that the greatest sin a Scot can incur is to be in debt. So maybe asking God to forgive our debts is to ask forgiveness for a great harm we have at times done to another and for the same type of harm and hurt that has been done to us. Never thought about that before either.

And the word "sin?" Well, I think about that word much more often than I think of the word "debt" or "trespass," especially what those words mean in the context of The Lord's Prayer. But that does not mean that I have thought about the word and its meaning any more deeply. All I know is that I want to be forgiven for whatever I have done, whatever trespass, sin or debt that I am responsible for.

But the Prayer says that I only want to be forgiven in the measure and to the degree that I first have forgiven others of their trespasses, debts and sins committed against me. I have thought about that before, but I don't like the thought. I don't know about you, but I am much more inclined to ask for forgiveness than to forgive – at least ask God to forgive me. And God can forgive all those others as well. But to have God's forgiveness of me be based solely on my forgiveness of others, that's a heavy load. It might mean that I remain unforgiven unless and until.

Perhaps the question I need ask of myself is one about whether or not I really mean what I am saying, what I am praying for when I say the Lord's Prayer. Do I truly forgive those who have invaded my space, my life, who have deliberately done harm to me as I have done to them? I owe them that much.

My forgiveness of others for trespassing on my space, for harming me in any way that some kind of debt is due, for deliberately (all sin is deliberate) saying or doing something to hurt me, is to come prior to my asking God for forgiveness. I don’t know about you but I do know about me, perhaps, no, for certain, the Lord's Prayer is a reminder that I have to get my priorities, my life, my thinking and even my praying in order before I start asking God for forgiveness for my sins, debts and trespasses..

No comments: