Monday, December 30, 2019

A MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION – AND LESSON


A story from the Internet: "During my second month of nursing school our professor gave us a pop quiz. I was a conscientious student and had breezed through the questions until I read the last one: 'What is the name of the woman who cleans the school?' Surely this was some kind of joke. I had seen the cleaning woman several times. She was tall, dark-haired and in her 50s, but how would I know her name?

"I handed in my paper leaving the last question blank. Before class ended, one student asked if the last question would count toward our quiz grade. 'Absolutely!' said the professor. 'In your careers you will meet many people. All are significant. They deserve your attention and care, even if all you do is smile and say ‘hello.’ I've never forgotten that lesson. I also learned her name was Dorothy."
           
The story reminds me of the last question on my first Old Testament test in seminary: "Who is the author of the text book?" I hadn't the foggiest. On that same test we were asked to draw a map of Israel and indicate where the Twelve Tribes were located, and by name. Needless to say, I did not do well on that test, nor did the rest of my classmates. But like that young student nurse, we learned our lesson. People and places and peoples' places in life are very important – to them – and should be to us as well.

I would like to be able to say that that first Old Testament exam sure was a lesson to me. I would like to say that. The lesson took a long time in learning. The question was important. The answer was more important, but the lesson, the learning did not come without a lot of halts and hesitations along the way. It is still too easy for me to be caught up in my own little world and not be concerned about others.

(I’ve probably told this story before because it has made a life-long impression on me.) I remember years ago arriving at a new church. It was a downtown church and many of the street people stopped for a cup of coffee and, in the winter, to get out of the cold. It was winter and a very cold one. One young man was there every day. It took me two months to learn his name because he wasn't important. What was important to me back then, or so I thought, was to learn all the names of all my parishioners. After all, they paid my salary. Larry only came for a handout.

When I finally realized what I had been doing, how unchristian I had been, I apologized to him. He was kind enough to tell me it was nothing, maybe because he was used to being ignored, maybe because he was more Christian than I was or will ever be. But, as I said, I have never forgotten that incident in my life, just as I have never forgotten that quasi-lesson my Old Testament prof perhaps unknowingly tried to teach my classmates and me all those years ago. But it took Larry, years later, for the lesson to sink in.

The people we encounter in our daily lives are all important even though we don’t think that is true. Maybe we encounter them and they us because that is God's plan for them and God’s plan for us for us. As the prof said, they deserve our attention, if all we do is say a simple pray for them.

No comments: