Monday, September 26, 2016

WHAT WE HAVE IS WHAT IS IMPORTANT

Every morning when I crawl, and I mean “crawl” out of bed, I am reminded that I am getting older, that, in fact, I am old even as I rebel against that thought and truth. Of course, it is better than the alternative. But that is something else both to think about and to give thanks for even as the bones creak and the muscles refuse to relax. Once upon a time, and not too long ago at that, getting out of bed was easy.

As we grow older, we lose much of what we once had both physically and mentally. I can no longer do well what I used to do well. The body simply will not allow it. There are also some abilities I once had that are lost forever. I used to run. Okay, jog. I can no longer do that now that I have two false hips. I cannot reach as high as I once did as I have lost an inch or so as my body succumbs to the realities of aging.

Mentally I am not as sharp as I once was. I am not as quick to recall a name or even remember what I had for breakfast. I want to attribute that not to approaching some form of dementia but to the fact that my brain is like a computer that has no delete function. It is simply getting fuller and fuller each day and, as a result, it takes me longer to retrieve something from all that memory. Works for me!

Growing older means we lose much of what we once had and even what we once were. Many people who are retired seem to lose a sense of worth because they are no longer known for what they did. They greet us with an “I used to be....” But we all used to be something. But that does not mean that we are now nothing. Growing older simply means finding out who we now are right now.

Mitch Albom in The Time Keeper puts the issue very clearly. “We all yearn for what we have lost. But sometimes, we forget what we have.” So true. We cannot get back what we have lost. It is lost. It is gone forever. We live in a fantasy world if we believe we can get it back. There are hucksters out there who are trying to sell us the illusion that we can be what we once were. They have miracle cures and wonderful remedies and the latest equipment to enable us to regain our lost youth or whatever it is that we seem to long for and would like to have back.

But that is a waste of time and certainly a waste of money if we go down that road. And while we are wasting precious time in the present longing for or chasing after that which is lost, as Albom reminds, we forget what we have. What we have is life even if that life is a little slower, bringing with it sore muscles and a different physical shape that we once worked so hard to attain but which is now gone with the wind.


What is important as we grow older, or at any stage of life, is to be aware of what we have right now: those many God-given gifts. And they are many. As I sit at the edge of my bed, dealing with the muscles rebelling against what I want to do next, namely stand up, I need to be thankful that I can stand, that I have a wonderful family who love me and that I am getting up precisely to use those God-given gifts and talents that still remain to see, seek and serve the Jesus I meet in everyone who crosses my path today.

No comments: