Wednesday, October 23, 2019


Years ago I came across a store at an Outlet Mall: The Christian Discount Outlet. I could only imagine what was available at that store. Sales everywhere on everything. Imagine taking one-third off on Jesus's command that we love our God-neighbor-self equally. Why, at one-third off, we can take two out of three. If my neighbor bugs me today, I'll just love God and myself. If I am having a personal bad day with myself or with my God, one-third off the loving and I'm still okay.
           
Or how about a big 40% discount on the Ten Commandments: we only need keep six out of ten. And because this is an outlet, we can pick any six. What a deal! Count me in. And because this is my first visit, as a bonus I now only have to go the extra one-half mile instead of the full mile with the one who wants the shirt off my back. (And I'll bet there is even a mark down on that one too.)

It's almost too easy. Christianity at a discount. But it just doesn't seem right. It certainly is not fair, I mean, after all these years trying to walk the straight and narrow, telling everyone that they had better shape up or else, and now some wise guy entrepreneur comes along and undercuts me. It may be unfair, but it is certainly not un-American. We're into sales here, with this Christianity stuff. And if the church is going to succeed, nay survive, in this here marketplace, we'd better get with the program.
           
The program is, of course, more for less, even at discount prices. Nobody buys anything for full price anymore. A friend of mine in the retail field told me once that if we pay ticket price, we're being robbed. That's how he put it. And when we buy the big ticket items, why we really stand tall and argue for the best deal. We deal -- with the car salesman, the real estate agent, anyone and everyone in a position to cut the cost. Boy do we deal!
           
So why should Christianity be any different? Well, we all know why. Remember the story where the rich young man comes to Jesus and asks what he needs to do to inherit eternal life. Jesus tells him to keep the commandments. When he says that he already does that and wants to know what more he can do (he obviously never encountered a Jewish Discount Outlet), Jesus tells him to sell his possessions, give the money to the poor and come follow him.
           
That the man cannot do and walks away. But notice what Jesus also did not and could not and did not say, "Wait a minute. Let's rethink this. Maybe we can make a deal. Maybe you only have to give away half your possessions. How does that sound?" No, no discounts available. No easy way out. No cheap grace.
           
There will always be those who want to tell us about an easier way to live out our faith.  But all they are doing is selling a bill of goods that simply aren’t any good.  If we want to know what it means to be a Christian, all we have to do is think of Jesus hanging on the cross.  That’s what it cost him -- his life. In one way or another, that is what it will cost us as well.

No comments: