Monday, August 26, 2019

MEETING ANGELS UNAWARE


One of my all-time favorite people was Margie Hall. She used to remind anyone who would listen that showing hospitality to strangers may be the easiest way to not only entertain angels but also to meet Jesus.

When I first arrived at Margie’s church as her new Rector, I felt my highest priority was to get to know the people of the parish. The parish had a very active outreach ministry to the downtown community in which it was located. There was always a pot of coffee on so that the street people could come in out of the cold – it was winter when I arrived: my first Sunday it was 17 below – and grab a cup of coffee. There was always someone sitting on one of the chairs outside my office sipping coffee – the longer it took, the better; a second cup was the best.

One of the regulars was a young man named Larry. Only I never learned Larry’s name, not at first. Oh, I had been introduced to Larry. But I made no effort to learn who he was. You see, Larry was not that important to me at that time. Learning Larry’s name was secondary to learning the name of those who paid my salary, until I offhandedly heard Margie preach her one-line sermon to someone. I learned and remembered Larry’s name the next day as I sat down next to him and sipped my own cup of coffee as we talked about mostly nothing.

Was Larry an angel, a messenger of God? Of course, he was, in his own way. His message was very simple and very clear: I am someone; I am not a nobody; I have a name just like everyone in this church has a name; don’t take me for granted; don’t patronize me; get to know me.

Every stranger, every person can teach us something. Everyone is somehow in some way a messenger, an angel sent from God. Sometimes that message is profound. Sometimes that message is very simple. But we cannot hear that message unless we take the time to take time to be with that stranger, that other person. That does not mean that everyone we see we have to stop and talk to. That is impossible.

What it does mean is that there are people who come into our lives who seem to be footnotes, people we can skip over because the real text of our lives can be explained without them. And so often we treat them like footnotes, if that. We simply ignore them as I did Larry way back then. But like a footnote, they give a better understanding of that text, as Larry did for me.

Something more to reflect on: we are probably thought of as a footnote in someone else’s text of life: ignored, thought not to be of any importance or significance. We are all more than that, much, much more – each and every one of us

We must never take anyone who comes into our lives for granted. We need to see Jesus in them and they need to see Jesus in us. We are God’s angels one to another, whether we are aware of that or not.

No comments: