Wednesday, November 29, 2017

SHALL WE DANCE?

Glad you asked. Wish I could. But I have two left feet. I took dance lessons once, back in fifth and sixth grade. They were held in the evenings at the public school I attended. In hindsight, I think there were two reasons why I took the lessons. First, all my buddies did. Second, it was a chance to dance with Myrtle Lou Fritz, my and all my buddies' heartthrob back in elementary school.

I was half successful. I never really learned how to dance -- anyone can learn the "box step." But I did get to dance with Myrtle Lou. Made my year. I wonder what ever happened to her. What happened to me is that I never got any better. So when on those rare, very rare, occasions when my wife and I dance, I move slowly and try not to step on her feet. If the tempo speeds up, I sit.

There are times, however, when I don't have a choice, when I can't sit this one out, when I have to get out on the floor and do my best, hoping I don't make a complete fool of myself. Those are the times when I have to be part of the dance of life, if you will. Actually, I, we, do have a choice. We can refuse to dance. We can sit this one out if we so choose, for the choice is always ours. No one can make us join the dance.
           
A church, a Christian community, can be likened, in a way, to a dance. And as Christians, both as individuals and as a community/church, we are asked to dance all the time. Even more, we ask others to dance with us, or certainly should. We are to reach out a hand and reach for theirs and ask, "Shall we dance?" At that point it is out of our hands for the offer can be refused or accepted.

There are many reasons why we turn down the offer to dance or are turned down ourselves. Sometimes the reason is that we believe we have to know all the steps before we can get out onto the floor. Sometimes we refuse because we are afraid to make a mistake. Sometimes we refuse simply because we are stubborn or lazy or both. The reasons, the excuses are many and almost always seem valid.

Forming and shaping Christian community, be that community a family (like yours and mine), a church (like the one of which we are a member) or The Church (like The Episcopal Church), involves risk. It involves getting out onto the dance floor and knowing ahead of time that we may step on someone's toes; that we may trip, stumble and even fall.

It also involves sharing and learning, humility and patience, every human emotion. And it is work. And it takes practice. Before the dance instructor allowed us to pair up, we had to practice the step over and over and over again until we got it right. It was a pain, but I was thankful. God forbid I would step on Myrtle Lou’s delicate toes! But it was worth it.
So, too, for us in the dance of life. If we are willing to take the risk, in the end, it is worth it. It always is.

Shall we dance? Why not?



No comments: