Monday, February 6, 2017

VISIT THE PRISONER

I’ve never been in jail. I never want to be in jail. I have claustrophobia and dread being confined in a jail or handcuffs – simply being confined. That is why I have always tried to walk the straight and narrow. When I was in college and theology back in the 1960s the country was in an uproar. My peers out in the world walked picket lines, burnt draft cards, took part in sit-ins and were carted off to jail. Even if I was out there among them, I would not have taken part in the demonstrations. It was not that I disagreed with them. It was that I was terrified of being put into jail.

Back then when the protesters were incarcerated, the majority of the country had no sympathy. They would have preferred that they just rot there. Others like me who sympathized with them were selfishly thankful that they had the guts to do what they did and, in their own way, speak for us. People have been imprisoned over the centuries for countless reasons. Many have been justifiably put there because they committed a crime and others have been the victims of those in power who used incarceration and its threat to silence those who opposed them. 

Whether one is in prison for justifiable reasons or because of forces beyond their control is not the issue at hand at present. When Jesus told us that one of the responsibilities we have as a follower is to visit those in prison, we may cringe. Our initial gut reaction is to judge that they deserve what they are getting and where they are. They must have committed[O1]  a crime that caused there imprisonment. Maybe so. Probably so. But Jesus never gave us at out. He never made a distinction between those who were in prison because of their crimes and those who were there because they were political prisoners. He simply said, “Visit them”.

The question arises: “Why?” especially why visit those who deserve their punishment. Why? Because those in prison are still human beings, children of God just like you and me. They still need to know that someone cares about them even by someone who does not know who they are or what they have done. Yes, maybe they are there because they committed a crime, have been caught and now are paying the penalty. In Christian-speak they sinned and are now paying for it.

The truth remains, however, is that we all sin. And while our sins may not constitute criminal activity, there is only a difference in degree between their sins and ours. It’s a good thing society doesn’t imprison us for our sins or we would all be in jail. My suspicion is that is the reason why Jesus demands that we visit those whose sins may be greater than ours. Moreover, that does not give us a pass to ignore them.

Full disclosure: I have only visited a prisoner once and I rarely even think about those in jail. My sin and my failure. Maybe I write this as only a personal reminder that I need to do more if only to pray every day for them. God loves them as much as God loves me.


 [O1]

No comments: