Thursday, January 16, 2014

INEFFABLE: WHEN WORDS FAIL



One of the joys I have had over these winter months is reading John Sexton’s Baseball as a Road to God: Seeing beyond the Game. Only a true baseball fan, I think, will appreciate the book. In Sexton’s terms baseball is ineffable. It cannot be explained to someone who thinks it is a waste of time, boring, and unlike football which is all about excitement. And, in truth, baseball cannot be explained to even to a true fan.

Sexton defines ineffable thusly: “that which we know through experience rather than through study, that which ultimately is indescribable in words yet is palpable and real. The word signifies the truths known in the soul.” In other words, we have to experience baseball and have it be a part of our lives. We understand it but can’t explain it. Words fail when we try.

As I read the book, the thought occurred to me that ineffable not only describes God but is also the reason why believers believe in God and unbelievers do not. Unbelievers are like those who can watch a baseball game but come away with little or no understanding of the game. Yes, the game is real. But since it is ineffable, because they cannot explain it in words, they have no use for it. It does not move their soul. Unbelievers see the reality of God’s existence; but because they cannot explain in words God or anything about God, they simply claim God does not exist. God does not move their soul.

On the other hand, we believers have the same problem. We see the works of God in all of creation and even experience God in our lives. Yet, when we try to explain God or explain our faith in God, words always come up short. They fail. So we assert that God is ineffable and are content with that, just as a baseball fan asserts that the game is ineffable and is content with that explanation much to the dismay and disagreement of those who want, demand that we find the words that will convince them to believe as we believe. For us believers God moves our souls. We do not need to explain that truth and have no need to do so.

It’s the same with love. I love my wife, but if I try to find the right words to explain my love for her, words would fail. My love is ineffable. All I can do is say “I love you” and leave it at that. As soon as I try to explain my love, I am in trouble. There will never be enough words, adequate words to explain. Thankfully, she does not ask me to explain my love for her nor do I ask her to explain, describe, define her love for me.

Again, as a believer all I can say is “I believe” and leave it at that. My belief is ineffable. There will never be enough words, adequate words to explain, describe, define my belief not only to someone else but also to myself. As soon as I try, I am in trouble. So I don’t try and simply enjoy being a believer.

Nonbelievers think they have the upper hand over believers. They demand explanations when none can truly be given. That is sad. They are missing out on so much just as those
who want an explanation of baseball rather than simply enjoy the game miss out on so much when they demand words other than the only one that describes baseball: ineffable.

1 comment:

IAfishingBoy said...

Just found out that a woman I admired from my time in Fairfield died suddenly, but in her sleep. The words fail...